Our Vision and Values
At The Winchcombe School we have a simple motto that we focus all our work on:
‘Achieve, Believe, Care’.
We know that children have the right to be provided with a creative, innovative and exciting education that will inspire them to become lifelong learners who are enthusiastic and proud of everything they do. We want every child, regardless of gender, background or ability to excel in all aspects of their learning, to believe in themselves, care about others and achieve amazing things. We want children to become confident discoverers, explorers and creators who live our values. We keep children at the heart of all that we do.
As a school, our aims are to:
- become a unique school which meets the needs of the Twenty-first Century child
- support and challenge children so that they become happy, engaged and independent learners
- ensure children are leaders of their own learning to satisfy their natural curiosity
- ensure children receive a creative, immersive and innovative education
- be a truly inclusive school where children have the same opportunities to excel in their learning
- provide a rich and purposeful learning environment
- live our values in everything that we do
- ensure that we respect the rights of everyone
- develop effective relationships with families and the community
- be the best we can be
At The Winchcombe School every individual is valued for who they are and what they contribute to our school community. Values-based education supports the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of every pupil throughout the school. Our staff and pupils are involved in promoting values and recognising where others are ‘living the values’. Our core values have been selected as those which are important within our school community and which will prove important throughout life.
Aims of this policy and guidelines
Through our values-based education programme we aim to:
- improve behaviour and conduct by developing strong values within and amongst our pupils
- develop pupils’ understanding of what values are and why they are important in life
- encourage pupils to ‘live our values’ in all aspects of their lives, both in and out of school
- promote values to pupils in every aspect of school life
- promote values in the way in which adults interact with each other and with pupils
- display our values and encourage all visitors to take account of them during their time in our school
- encourage parents and carers to support our values at home
Our values-based education programme consists of eleven values introduced over the year:
| Excellence | Teamwork | Resilience | Respect | Love | Happiness |
| Honesty | Responsibility | Perseverance | Courage |
*Values are subject to change following further discussion with pupils, parents and carers and staff.
The following routines and procedures will form part of our values-based education programme:
- one core value is introduced throughout each month through explicit values-based education lessons in each class
- further understanding of the core value in the context of the school and the wider community is developed through weekly assemblies and through promotion by all staff in every aspect of school life
- regular thinking and silent reflection time will be used to encourage pupils to reflect upon values during assemblies and in classrooms
- values will be displayed both internally and externally throughout the school and any work suggesting ways in which each value might be demonstrated will be discussed and shared with pupils, wherever possible
- values will be promoted to parents and carers through weekly newsletters
The implementation of this policy and guidelines is the responsibility of all staff.